Man, we are on a roll with great days around our house. We have a lot of good days, some not-so-good days, and few great days.
It started out Saturday morning. I suggested to Spencer that we go on a walk as a family. So, off we went on a walk around the neighorhood.
It was a fairly long walk, and I was getting hot, and wanting to go back home. Then we saw a sign for a yard sale down the street a little bit. We decided to go check it out in case we found some great deals {I've always been a little skeptical of yard sales, but decided to give it a shot this day}. There was actually 2 yard sales, and a garage sale all within walking distance from where we were. We stopped at a yard sale first.
We felt a little awkward, because we had never really done yard sale-ing before, and we were just looking through these people's stuff. Anyway, we found A TON of cute clothes that were in great condition for Gavin. Name brand stuff like The Children's Place, Osh Kosh, Gap, Gymboree, etc. The guy originally had them marked $1.00 a piece, but since we had picked out so many, he was going to take like $7.00 off the total price. Well we didn't have cash with us, so we had to run home, and he said he would hold them for us. Then when we arrived back at their house, he learned that we were in the same ward {which we had no idea of}. He then took another $5.00 off of the total price! I also found Gavin a coat that he can wear this winter. Gosh I was just so grateful for his kindness. He said that we're in the ward, that means we're like family {even though he had never met or seen us before}, and we're also going to school, so he is happy to spare a few bucks. It probably was no big deal to him, but it meant a lot to me. We basically paid .50 for each piece of clothing, and they're name brand! Gav is set with clothes til he is 18 months.
We then stopped at another yard sale. They had a lot of baby clothes too, but it wasn't as cute, or in as good of condition. They had a carseat base that fits our carseat. For how much? $1.00! We'll be putting that in the truck. It will be so nice when I have to drive the truck, to have the carseat base. They also had a crib for sale. One thing that I have not been sure with what's going to happen when we have this baby is the crib/bed situation for the kids. Will we buy a twin? Will we just keep the new baby in the playpen? I just wasn't sure. Twin beds, btw, are not cheap. Anyway, this crib we bought for $5.00! We're going to paint it, but otherwise, it is great. So Gavin's bed will turn into a toddler bed, which he can use for a couple of years. This crib we just bought also turns into a toddler bed, so we can use it as that if we need to as well.
What I'm getting at is that we have been so blessed. When we were contemplating about starting our family, a concern of ours was how we would provide for them while we were still in school. I had always felt as long as we are doing our best with being frugal, then we would be just fine. We have had so many people in our life giving us things for Gavin without even asking if we needed it, and then learning afterward that we did. We didn't have to buy anything for him {though there were still some small things I bought out of want}before he was born, because of some great family. He had enough clothes for him to wear up until 9 months. And now he is good for another long time. I am just so grateful for all of the amazing people who have helped us, and for the Lord working through them. We are very well taken care of, and even though we do try to be frugal, I don't think it's by anything we have done. I just think there are a lot of good people around us, and I'm so humbled by that.
P.s- I think I'll be going to yard sales a lot more often.
Sunday, June 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Welcome to the yard sales club!! Love them. It is awkward at first, but seriously the money you save is fabulous!! I love me some good deals!!
Post a Comment