Wednesday, March 14, 2012

This Is My Journal

This may get personal. Read or don't read, but you were warned!
Friendly reminders can be important. I get them a lot, and sometimes I don't appreciate them, but other times I do. I should appreciate every friendly reminder. If I don't want to hear it at the time, then that's when I should probably appreciate it the most.

I am not good with expressing myself the way I want to. So, forgive me in advance for that.

I don't want this post to sound like I'm venting, or that it is directed at any one person. I also don't want it to sound random, so I will do my best.

Since I became a mother, people around me have voiced their opinion about how I mother my child, or whatever you want to call it. At first, it just bothered me. Why? It might have to do with the fact that I have been underestimated at times in my life. I wanted them to mind their own business, and leave me to learning motherhood. As much as I was bothered by it, even if I came back with a rebuttle, it didn't stop. I am not saying that people {when I say people, I mean a variety of people} were spewing out thoughts and opinions on everything I did {or do}, but it seemed like it happened a lot. And maybe it seemed that way to me, because I tend to read into things too much. I will be the first to admit that about myself. All the same, it happens all the time. And not just to me, but I hear the same type of things said to or about other moms.

I try hard {can always try harder} not to judge others. I have been judged for marrying young, having a baby young, choosing to stay home with him. When those judgements are passed, then my bad self thinks something like, "Well I'm not worldly like you. Wanting everything for myself..." Blah-dy, blah :/ :/. I know, a wrist slap isn't sufficient for that one {thank goodness for the Atonement right?}. I eventually have to remind myself, "you don't want them judging you, so don't judge them". I also think it's important for me to remember that everyone is different. Everyone sees life differently, and will go about it as such.

I have heard way too often others passing judgements on others {myself included}. Why world? Why must we have to think that everyone should be, and think the way we do? It's just not going to happen. Why do we forget that we are all different. No two people are the same. Nobody is perfect. These are things we were taught as 5 year olds. Why do we forget them? Oh, that's because we're not perfect! How frustrating.

I have often wondered what it would be like to read the Prophet's thoughts. How does he control the natural man so well? How does he have an unconditional love for everyone, including people he has never met? If I had to guess, I would say a lot of it comes from years, and YEARS of practice. I also think it's in his nature to be genuinely good and loving to others. How much happier we would all be if we would truly "Love One Another".

I want to be the kind of person who is happy for another person if they are happy. So what if I chose to be a stay-home-mom, and a friend chose not to be. That in NO WAY makes their decision a wrong one, and neither does it make my decision wrong. The decisions are just DIFFERENT. That's all. This is the kind of reminder I need multiple times a day.



2 comments:

Chelsie Jensen said...

Every body has their own way of parenting. It is hard to not judge yourself and others on it. Hope I haven't offended you ever. Sorry if I have. Thanks for all the comments. We love disney on ice.. seeing your kids happy makes it all worth it. I sure wish we could get our boys together more often as well. At least you are closer now than when you were in Cedar. I love his nursery. I will have to come see it in person!

Abby said...

You are wise, my friend :) I have so much respect for you and the choices you've made.