Thursday, April 7, 2011

Facebook No More.

Friend/Family member: "Kelli! I can't believe you want to get rid of facebook! I thought you loved facebook? Why get rid of it?"

Kelli: "I had been an active Facebook member since summer of 2008!

I have gotten back in touch with LOTS of people.

Some that I don't care to be in touch with.

Others that probably don't care to be in touch with me.

And thankfully, I've kept in touch easily with those I really love, like you friend/family member!

I AM a fan of facebook. Truly. It is so convenient to contact someone, because they can just get back to you on their own time.. And actually, it's fun! It's fun to comment on a silly status, or to come up with something creative to say right? Yeah. And I love being able to see current pictures of my friends, and their families, and I like my friends and family to see pictures of my life. And especially you! My friend/family member!

What I don't love about facebook is this:

1. It's addicting. Sometime during the time that I'm not on facebook, I think of facebook. In numerous ways. "That would be a good status" Or "I wonder what I'll find out about someone today" Or "This would be a great profile picture" Or, or, or, or, and it goes on. When we are out of town for the weekend, I rarely get on facebook. It's usually because we are visiting with family, or because I would feel silly to check my facebook just because I was curious. Know what I mean? So after those kind of weekends end, and we come back home, one of the first things I do... Yep! Facebook! UGH!

2. I put things off, because facebook is a great passer of time. I can't even tell you how much I could get done if I'd just not get on facebook at all. Homework for example. Facebook is a big distraction from homework! And housework! And exercise! And I'm usually eating something when I'm on facebook! And it's just ridiculous. Addition to that, when this baby makes his grand arrival, mommy doesn't want a silly distraction such as facebook! Because quite frankly, it is a big distraction to mommy.

3. As hard as I've tried to keep our life between us, and you my friend/family member, there is still a way for others to learn about our life. Those "others" are the ones that Spencer and I absolutely do not care to keep in contact with, or for them to know what we're up to, or for us to know what they're up to. It's our mutual friends with you! I won't hold it against you if you are friends with these people, I promise. So, yeah, there is always a way for them to find out what we're doing, to get "updates" on our life. And it's not like we're hiding anything or that these people are evil.  It's purely ex-boyfriends, and ex-girlfriends. HELLO! We've all moved on. So let's keep it that way... "Moved on." Mmkay? It's not so much ALL of the people we've dated. But with those that have tried really hard to stay in our lives, it's just extremely unnecessary.

4. Ca-reepers! Example: This new employee at my work, who is in a totally different department than I am started a few months ago or something. I swear to you I have said mmaybe two words to him. Maybe. So one day, I get a notification that so and so "wants to be friends on facebook". I'm thinking, "I don't know that name... I do not know this person" So, I look at his profile picture, and it's still not clicking who the heck this creeper is. And then BAM! Whaa?! He is an older guy (like late fifties) and I didn't even know he knew my name!! Yeah. Delete.

So those are the main reasons why my husband and I have decided to get rid of our facebook's."

*Friend/Family member smiles warmly, respects our decision, and moves on.*

Thank you friend/family member! I love you!

I will miss you facebook.

But, overtime I know that it is what's best for me.

And people will find ways to stay in contact with me if their heart so desires.

And you lovely people who maybe read my blog are now required to leave a comment.

Comments are open to everyone.... Sweet eh? Yes!

With no comments, I will feel disconnected from all of you. So please, make this girl feel connected. :)

And finally, here is to a new beginning!


P.S. This is what I feel is best for me. I would never judge you for keeping your facebook even if you struggle with the same things I did while I was a facebook member! Let's stay friends k? ;)

Love,
kelli

5 comments:

Abby said...

I can't believe you wrote this post specifically for ME! I feel so loved :) good for you for trying to better yourself and improve your life. Facebook certainly isn't a distraction for ME, so I'm going to continue to use it. (Yes, sarcasm. But I will continue to use it anyway! :) )

I will definitely "find ways to stay in contact" with you because my heart so desires. Love you!

The Harrison's said...

I totally hear you on the "creeper" from work. If your talking of who I think it is then yeah he is a definite creeper and he tried to add me too. And you know how I don't work that much lately with school but apparently he wants to be my friend and I had no idea who he was!

Me said...

Kelli-

I hate to say this, but we can no longer be friends! If you can't accept facebook, you can't accept me.

Haha, totally kidding! You are a much stronger person than I am though!

Love you! And we need to do dinner together again pronto! Also are you going to be around for Easter Sunday?

Leslie said...

I totally agree. It is a distraction. I am afraid that I am not as strong as you though :) Maybe with your good example I can do it to! I love reading your blog even though I rarely comment. Oh, and post more belly pics, thanks!

Brooke said...

You did it too?!? You may have noticed, I deleted mine a couple months ago too. For basically the same reasons. It's actually been SO nice not having Facebook as a distraction... We have other ways to keep in touch that aren't so waste-of-time-y. :) Like this here lovely blog of yours.

(And I second the motion of more belly pics!! :D )