I'm really excited about this post, so bear with me. A lot of the time I can't get out what I'm trying to say, but I'm going to do my best. . .
When I tell people I work at a Nursing Home, as a CNA, usually their first response is something like, "Really? Is it hard? Do you like it? So, you do all of the dirty work?" Or, "It takes a special person to do that." Because I AM taking old people to the toilet, and I AM dealing with combative residents, and I AM showering an 90 year-old man. So yes, I agree that not everyone can DO those things, because of their comfort zones, or whatever you want to call it. And up until recently, that was a big part of what I thought of my job as well... I have to wake up So Early! Then right when I get to work, it's getting people dressed, getting them showered, changing their Brief. . . Sounds like fun doesn't it?
I was asked to attend an Eden Training in Salt Lake City to become a Certifited Eden Associate. Most people have never even heard of the Eden Philosphy. Let me try and sum it up a little for you. When I tell people I work as a CNA at a Care Community, their response would be more like this, "Wow, so you get to help take care of those amazing people who have amazing stories, and become their friend? That, is awesome." And instead, I would be waking up every morning at 5am thinking, "Today is going to be great! I get to develop a relationship with so many amazing people, and I will be making a difference in their lives, as they will be in mine." I know, that is so cheesey, but I am all about cheesey. It's truly how the Eden way is though. More nursing homes are becoming care communities instead, and that's what's so powerful, because they are adopting this and wanting to be better, and do better for the elders.
I guess I want more people to understand that my job truly is a difference maker. And I truly do love the elders I see everyday. I'm not perfect, and I become task-oriented when there is a lot to do, and I don't focus on the relationships as much when I get that way, but I love My Job.
For a while I've been counting on leaving Cedar City, leaving Kolob after the spring, in hopes that Spencer will have gotten into school. But, I will be really sad when that day comes. I know I will miss the elders, and the people I work with. This job, these people, have really helped my self-image. I now KNOW that I can do great things. Which is why I'm going back to school. It will be a sad day when I leave Kolob.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kelli I can relate to you. When I fist started my 100 clinical hours for my cna at a nursing home I thought there is now way I am going to enjoy working here. I know 100 hrs is not much but when my time was up there I was really sad to leave those residents. I was really starting to enjoy them. I have also kind of faced the same thing with working at South Davis Community Hospital. Everyone says oh so you are basically working a nursing home doing dirty work. And even though those patients do leave they are there for a long time and I was always sad when my patients would leave. I miss not seeing my patients all the time. Eldery people are fun to work with. They have their chanllenges just like eveyone else though.
Your a strong person Kelli!!! I could NEVER do what you do!!! I miss you!!
I'm so glad you can have such a positive attitude :) your a great role model and i look up to you! thank you for all that you do!
Post a Comment