Sunday, January 3, 2010
Loving Ourselves
Today in relief society, our lesson was on loving ourselves. It was a great lesson, and one I think most women need to hear. She talked about how we have to love ourselves before we can love others, and how when we're loving others, we should notice the good in them, and to not criticize them for their weaknesses. We should be trying to help them realize their strengths, and help them improve or strengthen those areas. She then shared a story by Sheri Dew. Sheri Dew said that she was the girl who wasn't cute enough, talented enough, smart enough, clever enough, stylish enough, etc... Her social skills weren't anything great, and when she arrived to BYU her freshman year, she felt very out of place, like the least accomplished person on campus. She then decided that she was going to try out for the woman's basketball team. She arrived to try outs, and saw the other girls doing drills and immediately became insecure with herself. She paced the hall outside the gym trying to decide if she wanted to go back in and try out for the team. She spent the entire time of try outs deciding. She never tried out. It bothered her for over thirty years. Then in 2001, she was asked to speak at a devotional at BYU to the athletes. She told the story of not trying out for the team. After her talk was through, the director of althletics or something got up to the podium, and asked Sheri Dew through the microphone if that story about her not trying out for the team was true. Sheri said yes. The director said, did you know that I was the coach of the team that year (1971). Sheri said yes again. Then the director continued on to say that that year was a little different than other years. The entire year, she was short one player on her roster. She looked all year long for another player to fill that spot, but never found anyone. Of course Sheri couldn't say for sure that that spot was hers, but if she had tried, she would've known either way. I think the biggest part of that story is that we should believe in ourselves. In the lesson, it was also said that we should see ourselves as our Heavenly Father and Savior see us. One way to put it into perspective is by thinking about how much we love those around us. Yes, we may see some weaknesses in those we love, but when they don't see their potential like we do, it breaks our hearts. That is how our Heavenly Father and Savior feel about us. It is just as hard for them, if not harder, when they see our potential, but we don't. I know I struggle with many insecurities, and it's something that won't be easy to get over. But, I know that I can get through it, and improve myself with the help of H.F. and the Savior. It was such a good lesson, and definitely something I needed to hear..... "Be Not Faithless, But Believing".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kelli, you are so going to make me cry. This was such a wonderful post to read. I love your spiritual testimony. You inspire me so much! This is exactly what every woman needs to here, like you said. It is so important to love yourself, and believe in yourself. Thanks for sharing this lesson. I actually didn't make it to church yesterday cuz all three my kids are super sick, so it is so nice to hear about the lesson. Love you so much Kel!!
Post a Comment