Tuesday, September 1, 2009

CNA Clinicals

Okay so, my CNA class has about nine days left. The end seems forever away, but thankfully it's gone by pretty quick so far. To get certified, you have to complete I think 24 or so hours of clinicals. I'M ALL DONE WITH MINE! It was pretty rough. I did four clinicals, 6 hrs each, in a week! I was constantly gone. I was either babysitting (I babysit from around 8 am to 3 pm everyday), at a clinical, at class, or asleep. It was a long week, but at least I got all of my clinicals done real quick.
Now about the clinicals... Yes, there is A LOT of dirty work. My first clinical was probably the worst, because I had no idea how to even prepare for what I was about to deal with. Since I was following a CNA at all of my clinicals, they had me do pretty much everything, which was fine because I needed the experience, and had to pass things off. Anyway, I didn't even have time to think about what I was doing, or hesitate to do it. It needed to be done, and done fast. Enough about the dirty work... Most of the residents in the facility were awesome. Some were ornery and demanding, others were whiny, but for the msot part, I really enjoyed working with the residents. One thing that is really emphasized in our class is to have empathy for the residents. Honestly, it's not hard to have empathy. It is quite sad to see them so dependent on someone else to do even the simplest things for them. That is what got me through my clinicals; knowing that they need help, and since I know how, I better do it, and do it with a good attitude. If I were them, I wouldn't want someone to take care of me who did it grudgingly or out of complete disgust. I've already applied to an assisted living facility here in Cedar, and it would honestly be an answer to my prayers if I got the job! During my clinicals, I knew that I was needed, and by the end of my cliniclas, I felt like I got something done that was worth doing. So if I got the job, I think it'd help me feel better about myself, plus we could really use the money. It honestly was a good experience, and I'm so glad I decided to take this route.

4 comments:

Chelsie Jensen said...

Good for you for finishing! That's awesome. It is so crazy the things we take for granted? You'll be a great CNA :)

Brooke said...

Thats awesome Kelli! Sounds like your super busy, but good for you. Its probably better than being bored out of your mind like I am ha ha. Anyway good job! :)

Amy said...

Way to go Kell Bell!!! I'm so happy that you've found something that you are excited about. You will do a great job at it since you are so caring and compassionate. That is so great that you are so close to being done. Miss you and love ya!

Journey of the Davies said...

I know you are talking about. It is so sad how some CNA treat the residents. It breaks my heart that residents don't get treated better. It's not like they were the one to choose to live in these facilities. I am glad there is another person joing the health care system that wants to really help patients/residents and isn't just doing it for the money or job security. You are so close to finishing that is great. I am happy for you. Have you been babysitting for Natalie?