At 38 weeks, my doctor, Spencer, and I decided that being induced at 39-ish weeks would be beneficial.
We were moving the day after my due date, because of Spencer's schooling.
Thus, we decided that I would be induced on August 11th at midnight.
On August 9th, I got a call from my doctor saying that something had come up and he was wondering if we could do the induction a day earlier.
Freak out time begins....
I had planned on the 11th, so the 10th seemed so much earlier, and something I definitely wasn't prepared for.
August 9th Emotions:
Uncertainty. Disbelief. Terrified. Self-doubt. Sadness.
Excitement. Anxiousness. Joy.
Lots of ups and downs that day fo sho.
August 9th events:
Packing hospital bag. Waiting for Spencer to get home from work. Talking to fam members on phone.
Spencer's work dinner party. Grocery shopping. Trying to enjoy the last couple of hours with just me and my husband. Crying to my husband about my uncertainty. Crying to my mom about my uncertainty. Praying to my Heavenly Father things would go well and smooth. Praying that I would love my child and motherhood.
August 10th:
We arrived to the hospital at midnight. The nurse immediately showed us to our room that I would labor, deliver, and recover in. They started me on a very very small dose of some drug (don't remember the name) to soften my cervix. I arrived at the hospital dilated to a 2. So from midnight to about 7 in the morning I was supposed to try to sleep (didn't get a wink of sleep), and let them know if I had any harsh contractions.
I was checked at 7 am, and was only dilated to a 2+. The nurse went to get the doctor to break my water.
Checked at 8: Dilated to a 4 (recieved my epidural, which was great for pain, but Suuuper itchy in my case)
Checked at 10: Dilated to a 7
Checked at 11:30: Dilated to a 10
Pushed for 45 mins. Didn't really get anywhere. They discovered my little stinker was turned to the left. Another 45 mins of pushing got him to face up. Which wasn't working either. Throughout it all, he turned and turned and turned. Wouldn't stay face down. By the end of it, I had pushed for over three hours, and the stinker (I can only call him that, because I love him so darn much), came out with an arm and a leg up by his head.
Wow. The joy and the relief I had felt when he was born was overwhelming! Yes, I was crying my eyes out as they were wiping him off, and cleaning him up. Right at that moment all of my fears had left, and joy seriously had filled me. I had never felt such emotion!
Gavin Spencer Gledhill
Born August 10th at 3:18 pm
7 lbs 8 oz
20 inches long
And super adorable.
I was a tired momma, but so happy to finally meet my little man.
Spencer was just what I needed throughout my delivery. And just what Gavin needed once he arrived.
He wasn't too excited about the sponge bath.
Oh but he loved getting his hair washed!
It was a rough delivery for all of us. Especially this one. He came out with a pretty bruised head :( Poor guy.
The day after he was born, we found out that his bilirubin levels were high.
Which meant he had to be on the lights constantly except to eat.
It was so hard for me and Spence to see him there with no blankets to keep him wrapped up and warm.
His poor little body would twitch almost constantly, and he couldn't get warm :(
Needless to say, I was kind of a wreck.
I felt so bad that I couldn't snuggle him and comfort him like I wanted/needed to.
Because of the delivery, his jaundice, and not being able to relax on the lights, his poor little body was so tired. He wouldn't wake up to eat.
Which led to him having low blood sugar.
Which meant that we had to be in the hospital for another day.
Which also meant, his poor little feet would get poked every 3 hours!
Finally, his blood sugars were staying high enough that we could go home.
And his bilirubin levels dropped enough that we could just take some bilirubin lights home with us.
All ready to go.
We arrived home on the 12th.
He was able to get off the lights 2 days later.
He was able to get off the lights 2 days later.
Finally, I was able to snuggle him all I wanted and not have to feel like I was in a hurry to feed him so he could get back on those dreadful lights.
Motherhood has been wonderful.
I love him so darn much.
The labor and delivery was better than I expected even though I got the workout of a lifetime.
I had a great experience, and life with Gavin has been an adjustment for sure, but an amazing adjustment.
Spencer has been awesome.
He went to every single prenatal appointment.
He was a great support during the delivery.
And best of all, he is an awesome daddy.
I will post later about how cute Gavin is :)
1 comment:
He is such a cutie! I'm sad you guys are moving so I wont be able to see him in person! But i'm super happy for your little family and congradulations again! :)
Post a Comment