Monday, May 23, 2011

Wedding Challenge #1

1. How it all began: how you met, first date, first kiss, how long did you date? first picture together.....etc.


I'll try to give the cool version (well I think it's cool), but I might not be able to explain it very well.

Spencer went on his mission to Michigan. In the field, they train new missionaries right?
Spencer had trained a kid, who trained another kid... The other kid is from Taylorsville.
He is really good friends with my cousin. He also has a twin sister. Spencer decides to start writing this sister.
He tells her he plans to go to Snow College when he gets off of his mission.
She says, "Oh! I have a friend down there!"
That friend was my dearest cousin.

So, Spencer gets back from his mission, goes to Snow for a semester, doesn't ever meet my cousin.
The next semester is Fall semester, which is also my first semester at Snow.
My cousin knew he was going to be down there, and wanted to introduce herself to him
So she did. :)
They started talking and getting to know each other.
Then they decide to go on a double date..
She invites me to go with, and Spencer takes his roommate.
We went bowling! It was fun. I didn't pay much attention to Spencer, or his roommate. I was only there for my cousin.
Anyway, they hung out a few more times, he comes to our apt a few times, etc.
Spencer and I had a Western Swing class together. We would talk in class and what not.
He'd always say things like, we should go for a fourwheeler ride, or go spotlighting together, or whatever.
I don't know why, but I was always like, "haha yeah sure." I didn't think he was serious I guess.

Oh, one minor detail... I was writing a missionary who I was pretty serious about waiting for.
I was still dating around, but I had no intention of finding a relationship with anybody while he was gone.

So finally Spencer gets my number, and asks me out for real.
If going spotlighting is a real date anyway.
But it was a great time! We talked a lot, and he basically told me that he likes me a lot.
I will never forget one thing he said that caught his eye about me: He told me he knew I was a genuine person.
He also told me he could see me as the type of girl who gets all prettied up, but can also get dirty (as in dirt) and "play" in the outdoors.
He was pretty correct. I do like to look nice, but I also like the outdoors. Not to the extreme though.

Anyway, I asked him out I think three days later. We went to Provo and saw "Bee Movie". Then we went back to his apt and watched "The Phantom Of The Opera" cause we had talked about it on the way back to E-town. We pretty much got cozy right away. It was awesome.
Then we kissed for the first time! Yep. That was awesome too.

Throughout the school year, we dated about 4 months total. It was off and on a lot though.
That was my fault.
I was EXTREMELY confused!
Like I said, I was writing that missionary, who I sincerely felt was THE ONE.
But then I met Spencer, and he really got me confused about my feelings unlike any other guy had.
So, we dated, but as soon as we took another step in the relationship, I'd freak out and break up with him.
Poor guy.
It happened 3 times. It was really hard for both of us.
He knew he wanted me, I knew I wanted him most of the time, but there were still times that I was unsure. Finally, I broke it off for what I thought was for good.

About two months later, school was about to end.
Spence tells me that he really needs to talk to me before I head home for the summer.
I had a party to go to that night, but said I'd call him when I left the party.
He came to pick me up, and we went for a drive.

He basically poured his heart out to me. Sweetest. Thing. Ever.
He said he could not live the rest of his life knowing that he had not told the girl he truly loved how he felt.
He said he had never felt this way about anyone ever before, and he really had some strong feelings for me.
He also said, that he wasn't trying to persuade me, but just that he wanted me to know how he felt.
He told me he loved everything about me. So sweet!
This went on for a little while.
The whole time he was talking, I just cried silently and listened to him.
Oh boy.
So I wasn't sure what to do with my life at that point.

The next day, he left to go work at Fish Lake, and I went home.
We didn't see each other for the first couple weeks. We didn't really even keep in contact.
Then, I decided to call him.
We talked, and wanted to see each other.
So I made plans to go to Fish Lake to see him.
I also decided to take down any pictures of me and the missionary, put away any letters, and to just focus on Spencer for a while. To see how things went without a distraction.
I wanted to give Spencer a real chance.

I didn't cry AT ALL after taking those pictures of the missionary down, I didn't cry AT ALL when I'd get letters from him.
I didn't write him another letter.
That summer, Spencer and I really got serious, and I very much fell in love with him.
He asked me to marry him July 23, 2008.
I told the missionary I was getting married, and that was that.
I was so happy!
When I was trying to find the answer of who I should marry, I would think about the missionary, and I would be so confused, and unsure about it, and kind of just didn't feel great about it.
Then I would think about life with Spencer, and I felt peace.
PEACE.

It was such a new feeling to me, because I had been so confused for so long, and then I had an overwhelming feeling of Peace.
So I knew my answer.
Yay!

Probably, I could have married the missionary and had been just fine.
But I truly believe Spencer is the one for me, as I am the one for him.
No doubt about it!

One of our first pictures together. Out snowboarding!

One thing that Spencer was so amazing at, and still is to this day, is patience.
He was unbelievably patient with me. He never gave up on me. He knew what he wanted, and he wasn't going to let me ruin that for him haha. It is still hard for me to believe that he kept hanging in there, time after time I had broken his heart. Nobody had/has ever been so patient with me, and so understanding.
He was so sincere, and truly just cared about my happiness over his own. Still does.
I'm such a lucky girl I tell ya!

 

3 comments:

Jess Beach said...

I got cold chills reading about the peace you described. I had a situation that was a bit similar and I chose the right one for me, too! :) I love reading your blog, keep writing! :)

Brooke said...

Aaaawww! This was so fun to read, Kelli! I'm excited for the rest of your posts about your wedding/dating/love/marriage. So fun :)

Jeff and McKenna said...

oh my goodness!! i had no idea that is how it all happened!! haha geez cute!!! i'm so glad you two ended up together!! cause you two are so perfect for eachother! i just know it!!! :) :) ah cute!!!